Is the THAAD Seeker a guidance system?
Our THAAD Seeker is an integral part of the THAAD guidance system, using our advanced sensors to “seek” and lock onto incoming targets – enemy ballistic missiles moving up to 17,000 miles per hour – so that the guidance system can route the THAAD interceptor to the threat. As escalating security threats around the world have spurred the modernization of defense systems to deter aggression, BAE Systems has continually improved its sensor designs to advance performance of both precision-guided munitions (PGM) and electronic warfare (EW) systems.
A highly effective asset for the U.S. strategic arsenal
THAAD’s high-altitude intercept capability mitigates the potential effects of enemy intermediate- and short-range ballistic missiles – even hypersonic versions – before they reach the ground, and its non-explosive, hit-to-kill kinetic impact minimizes risk of detonation. As a worldwide leader in military and intelligence sensor technologies for over 40 years, BAE Systems is performing cutting edge sensor design work that enhances guidance capabilities and improves the THAAD missile defense system's ability to neutralize more threats while optimizing manufacturability.
DoD-certified development and production facilities
A ballistic missile's altitude, speed, and range demand accurate design, testing, and evaluation. BAE Systems' THAAD seekers are assembled, integrated, and tested by a dedicated team of Precision-Guided Munitions (PGM) sensor development engineers at multiple locations.
BAE Systems’ Related PGM products
As market-leading experts in pairing guidance, navigation, and control telemetry technology with munitions, BAE Systems knows that the evolving battle space needs smart, scalable PGM solutions to deter and defeat threats. Our future-focused development programs keep us at the forefront of innovation and cost-effective solutions, with products including:
- APKWS® laser-guided rocket: A mid-body guidance section transforms a standard unguided 2.75-inch (70 mm) rocket into a precision laser-guided rocket.
- BONUS: Artillery-launched ammunition containing two sensor-fused sub-munitions for defeating armored vehicles, including self-propelled artillery.
- Long Range Precision Guidance Kit (LR-PGK): Corrects inherent ballistic errors of high-explosive and rocket-assist artillery projectiles, delivering long range precision fires with GPS anti-jam technology.
- Hypervelocity Projectile (HVP): Can execute multiple missions, provides lethality and performance enhancements to current and future land and naval gun systems.
- Long Range Anti-Ship Missile (LRASM) RF Sensor: Guidance technology capable of autonomously detecting and identifying targets for this next-generation missile.
- Silver Bullet - Precision Guidance Kit: GPS-based guidance kit transforms a standard artillery shell into a precision-guided munition.