Mature solution transforms conventional artillery shells into precision munitions with GPS anti-jam guidance capabilities.
Adversaries’ emerging jamming capabilities are threatening the effectiveness of the U.S. Army’s existing artillery precision guidance kits. BAE Systems’ Precision Guidance Kit-Modernization (PGK-M) technology will meet current and future anti-jam requirements, and advance on previously successful capabilities developed to improve the reliability of precision-strike functions in GPS-jammed environments. This kit will be compatible with existing inventories of artillery shells and multiple firing platforms, including:
- M795 and M549A1 standard projectiles
- M109A7 self-propelled Howitzers
- M777A2 lightweight towed Howitzers (manufactured by BAE Systems)
- Miscellaneous developmental rounds and firing platforms
The PGK-M builds on mature, battle-proven technology to improve the accuracy of 155mm projectiles. It will increase maneuverability and incorporate anti-jam capability – requirements for today’s evolving battle space.
- Completed over 200 tests demonstrating a TRL 7
- <10m circular error probable (CEP) accuracy
- High angle of attack
The kit combines enhanced Global Positions System (GPS)-based navigation with an innovative, roll-stabilized guidance unit and antenna array. This integrated technology, paired with a proven, variable deflection canard control method, allows for advanced in-flight correction capabilities.
The PGK-M technology is designed to help warfighters complete every mission accurately:
- Precision at longer distances keeps soldiers away from threats
- Improved GPS anti-jam performance
- Enabled technology compatible for GPS restricted environments (semi-active laser, imagers, pseudolites, datalink, etc.)
Our kit dramatically reduces the dispersion associated with 155mm unguided artillery rounds, achieving precision target engagement. Projectiles fitted with PGK-M provide artillery teams on the battlefield with accurate fire support capabilities that friendly forces can rely on in urban areas.
- Improved accuracy against modern threats
- Reduced Circular Error of Probability (CEP)
- Decreased collateral damage
The PGK-M’s highly accurate, lethal capability enables one-shot hits on the target. It requires less ammunition than conventional artillery to complete the mission, saving on costs, and increasing effectiveness.