The De Havilland DH95 Flamingo was something of a departure for De Havilland Aircraft Company as a high wing, all metal monoplane powered by twin Bristol Perseus radial engines and twin tail fins. Designed by R (Ron).E. Bishop, it was the first all-metal, stressed-skin aircraft to be built by De Havilland Aircraft Company (although the control surfaces remained fabric covered).
Two pilots sat side-by-side with a Radio Operator seated directly behind, ahead and above a passenger cabin which could accommodate 12 - 17 seats.
The first prototype (G-AFUE) flew on 28th December 1938. It was briefly trialled with three fins – a central fixed fin being added, but reverted to its original twin fin configuration.
Six aircraft were purchased for the Royal Air Force (RAF) use whilst a further seven were delivered to BOAC, flying during the war mainly in the Middle East.
A proposed order for 40 aircraft was suspended and then subsequently cancelled to make way for further production of the hugely-successful DH Tiger Moth Trainers. Production of the type then ceased prematurely owing to the intensity of the Second World War. One aircraft (G-AFYH) was used by the Royal Navy (BT312) and survived the war, being finally scrapped in 1954.
The last of the type to be built received an RAF serial (R2766) but returned to the civilian register (G-AGCC) for use by the King’s Flight. It later reverted to its RAF markings with 24 Sqn.
In RAF service, the type was known as the De Havilland Hertfordshire and this type can be easily spotted as it featured oval, rather than rectangular windows and seating for up to 22 soldiers.
|Powerplant||Two 890 hp Bristol Perseus XIIC radial engines or (from fifth aircraft) two 930 hp Perseus XVI|
|Span||70 ft 0 in|
|Maximum Weight||17,600 lb or 18,000 (Perseus XVI)|
|Capacity||Three crew and twelve to seventeen passengers|
|Maximum Speed||243 mph|
|Cruising Speed||204 mph|
Number Built & Survivors
|16 built||No examples survive|