The Bristol Type 89 Advanced Trainer was derived from the earlier Bristol 76 Jupiter Fighter which is described separately on this website.
The Type 76 itself had been conceived as a conversion of the Bristol F.2B Fighter and a cheap way to demonstrate the Bristol Jupiter radial engine, designed by Roy Fedden.
It soon became clear however that there would be interest in the further development of the Type 76 into an Advanced Trainer which would be designated Type 89 and which used a derated Jupiter engine, initially of 290 hp but later increased to 320 hp.
The first example (G-EBIH) flew on 14th April 1924 and was intended for use by the Filton Reserve Flying School although two aircraft were also supplied for use at the Beardmore Reserve Flying School at Renfrew (Glasgow).
Because of the increased torque of the Jupiter engine, these trainer aircraft featured a larger, horn-balanced rudder and also made use of oleo undercarriages.
A second batch of aircraft (Type 89A) had plywood-skinned rear fuselages and could also be distinguished by their colour scheme of black fuselages and silver wings.
Production comprised nine Type 89 and 14 Type 89A Advanced Trainers (ten of which were used at Filton and four at Renfrew). The final Type 89A was built at Renfrew from spares and salvaged components.
The Jupiter Trainers continued in service at Filton until April 1933 after which the remaining aircraft were all scrapped as they were not though suitable for sale on the civil market.
|Powerplant||320 hp de-rated Jupiter IV or VI|
|Span||39 ft 3 in|
|Maximum Weight||3,250 lb|
|Capacity||Pilot and student|
|Maximum Speed||110 mph|
Variants and number built
|Type 89||Jupiter-powered trainer developed from Bristol Type 76 Jupiter Fighter; 9 built|
|Type 89A||Later version with plywood-skinned fuselage; 13 built by Bristol and one machine assembled from spares and other parts at Renfrew|
|Total built||23 aircraft: nine Type 89 and 14 Type 89A|
Nil; surviving aircraft were scrapped in 1933.