The Buckmaster was a an advanced unarmed twin engine trainer for three crew (instructor, student, wireless operator) to meet Specification T.13/43 developed directly from the Bristol Buckingham. In fact, the Bristol Type 166 Buckmaster made use of components from the Type 163 Buckinghams already built and put into storage.
The Buckmaster prototype (TJ714) was first flown on 27th October 1944. Two prototypes and 110 production aircraft were eventually built, being delivered between March 1945 and April 1946. Yet again however, most of them went directly to store.
Some aircraft were used however, for the operational conversion of Brigand crews and on communications duties.
One of the two aircraft used for trials at Filton (RP164) was used for Bristol Brabazon de-icing system development trials although it was eventually scrapped at Halton in 1958.
|Powerplant||Two 2,400 hp Centaurus VII|
|Span||71 ft 10 in|
|Maximum Weight||33,700 lb|
|Capacity and armament||Three crew (Instructor, student, wireless operator). No armament fitted|
|Maximum Speed||352 mph|
112, comprising two prototypes and 110 production aircraft, many delivered direct to store.
No examples of the Bristol 166 Buckmaster survive.