Blackburn
Sidecar

A Blackburn design for a two-seat privately owned aircraft. Although completed, it was never flown.
Blackburn Sidecar stbd front view A side view of the Blackburn Sidecar, showing the ABC Gnat engine and the side-by-side cockpit.
 
The Blackburn Sidecar was a two-seat, ultra-light mid-wing monoplane intended for the private owner.
 
The occupants sat side-by-side in an open cockpit situated above the wing leading edge with access to the cockpit was provided by a pair of side doors. These seating arrangements gave rise to the name Sidecar.
 
Power was provided by a two-cylinder ABC Gnat engine of only 40 hp. The wooden construction fuselage was of a triangular cross-section, similar to the design of the early Blackburn monoplanes. The main structure was surmounted by a fabric covered fairing that rose to shoulder height at the cockpit.
 
Although undoubtedly underpowered, the design concept is similar to other ultralights that appeared between the wars including the Aeronca C3, the C100, the Tipsy S and Tipsy B.
 
The Sidecar was built at Blackburn’s Olympia Works in Leeds in early 1919 and was displayed at the Harrods Department Store in London from 7th April 1919 and was then subsequently put on display at a store in Reading.
 
Although it received a civil registration (G-EALN) in August 1919, there is no evidence that the Sidecar ever flew while powered by the ABC Gnat engine. It was advertised for sale in June 1921 and was purchased by Blackburn’s London Manager Mr B Haydon-White who re-engined it with a 100hp Anzani radial engine. This was probably equally unsuccessful as the aircraft by October 1921, the aircraft was no longer registered.
 

Variants & Numbers Built

One prototype only, G-EALN, not believed to have been flown.

Specification 

(Estimated performance with ABC Gnat engine)
Powerplant
One 40 hp ABC Gnat twin-cylinder air cooled engine
Span
27 ft 3 in
Maximum Weight
850 lb
Capacity
Pilot and passenger
Speed
83 mph
Range
About 300 miles

Survivors

Nil.