The Aircraft Company
The Aircraft Company was formed by George Holt Thomas on 6th June 1911, combining The Aeroplane Supply Company of St Stephens's House, Westminster with Airship Limited of Merton.
After initial use of the former skating rink at Merton, the company occupied a disused bus/tram depot (previously used by the Metropolitan Electric Tramway and Omnibus Company) at The Hyde, ½ mile south of Hendon.
The Aircraft Company held the sole rights in the United Kingdom for the building of Henri and Maurice Farman aeroplanes, a deal secured by Mr Holt Thomas in early 1912. (The Farman Brothers works were at 167, Rue de Silly, Billancourt, France).
In May 1912, the company name was changed to The Aircraft Manufacturing Company Limited (often known as AIRCO, this style being subsequently adopted by the company itself).
The Aircraft Manufacturing Company (Airco)
|1911||The Aircraft Company Limited|
|1912||Aircraft Manufacturing Company Limited (AirCo)|
|1920||De Havilland Aircraft Company Limited|
|1963||Hawker Siddeley Aviation|
|1915||Airco DH1 / 1a||1917||Airco DH9 / 9a / 9c|
|1915||Airco DH2||1918||Airco DH10 - Amiens|
|1916||Airco DH3 / 3a||1919||Airco DH11 - Oxford|
|1916||Airco DH4 / 4a / 4r||1919||Airco DH16 - Arras|
|1916||Airco DH5||1920||Airco DH18|