Join our National Security Academy
Our National Security Academy is unique. Designed to develop individuals with the confidence and technical capability to support a safer future. Our aim is to give you the tools, training and support you need to become a rounded Software Engineer in the National Security sector. After receiving world class training, ultimately, you will be encouraged to rotate through a number of project roles, such as:
- Software Developer
- Test Analyst / Automation Test
- Application Support and DevOps
Why work in the National Security sector?
The difference we make in National Security is epitomised by the work we do with the National Crime Agency to safeguard children:
“In Operation Notarise – an unprecedented six-month operation coordinated by the NCA – our BAE attachment developed bespoke automation tools that saved CEOP an estimated 10 years of effort. Without this support we could not have carried out the operation in the way we did and achieve such widespread results. Notarise led to the safeguarding of over 400 children across the UK and the arrest of over 660 suspected paedophiles.”
Johnny Gwynne, Director, National Crime Agency CEOP Command talking about our BAE Systems National Security team.
Read more about our work here:
Why BAE Systems?
You’ll be part of a big company, but we try to create a culture that feels more like a small one. The work will stretch you and be challenging, but we encourage a healthy work-life balance and welcome a discussion on flexible working. Most of all, we know that teams who work well together also perform well. We’ll do everything we can to ensure you have fun both at work and in our social activities outside of it.
We are specifically recruiting for our National Security business which is the largest area within our Government division. Our mission is to be the most trusted partner for our National Security clients in delivery of their core mission. At the end of 2017 we had over 500 employees working across our Intelligence and Law Enforcement clients.
We have a rich history of working within National Security. In fact, we have over 40 years’ experience of delivering advice and solutions to our customers in this sector, supporting them in carrying out their vital missions. We are currently at the forefront of introducing new technology and approaches, and would like you to be part of this exciting phase in our history.
Meet Mivy James, our Head of Consulting, recently profiled as an inspirational leader in the technology sector by Wearethecity.com:
Who are we looking for?
The National Security Academy is designed to develop the professionals of tomorrow. Whether you are a recent university graduate or have been working within IT for a number of years, or you simply have a passion for technology and an aptitude to learn, we would like to hear from you. Previous experience of software development is not required.
Our programme will provide you with the technical knowledge and interpersonal skills to work with confidence in a wide variety of challenging business environments.
Given the nature of our work, Security Clearance will be required for this vacancy. If you are not currently security cleared, you will need to be eligible for this and willing to go through a vetting process. For more guidance on National Security Vetting please visit gov.uk website:
What training will you receive?
The National Security Academy is delivered in partnership with QA Consulting and is located within one of QA’s world leading training centres. With purpose built academy locations, candidates will learn and develop together and feel part of the programme from day one.
Key Programme features:
- An integrated programme delivering learning that supports a strong sense of progression, continuity and collaboration, whilst building IT excellence.
- A strong foundation in practical interpersonal and business skills
- Business engagement skills with Business Analysis and Requirements Engineering
- Working in teams utilising Agile methodologies
- Subject Matter Experts imparting experience and knowledge to ensure you have the skills to succeed
- Practical experience of hands-on learning to solve real-life business challenges
What’s in it for you?
- Industry leading intensive training for 4 months, supporting your development to becoming a technical SME
- Candidates will be Security Cleared at the highest level in order to support government contracts
- On completion of the training you will have achieved SFIA level 3 competency in Software Development, Testing Analysis and Application Support
- £20k salary during training
- Living wage provided during ‘project training phase’ until clearance obtained or assigned to security cleared work
- Market leading £28k starting salary upon Security Clearance and NS Academy graduation
- Support and mentorship for BAE Systems National Security professionals
- A demanding and rewarding career in National Security – making the world a safer place.
How to apply and application process
To express your interest in our National Security Academy please email your CV and covering note to BAE-NSAcademy@qa.com
If shortlisted you may be selected to attend one of our aptitude centres where you can find out more about the Academy and meet our BAE Systems team.
We look forward to meeting you.