Designed from the outset for high reliability, low maintenance and the ease of upgrade, Eurofighter Typhoon is now delivering unparalleled levels of operational availability in service with customer air forces.
It is in operational service with six nations – Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, Austria and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia – and on order from the Kingdom of Oman and the State of Kuwait.
It provides an unmatched combination of air vehicle performance, beyond visual range air-to-air weapons and sensor capability, securing its position as the primary air superiority fighter for its customer air forces.
And with almost 500 aircraft in service across Europe alone, Eurofighter Typhoon will remain the backbone of Europe’s combat air capability for decades to come.
Operationally proven – now and for the future
- Proven on operations across the globe in every climate and fully interoperable with other NATO assets, Eurofighter Typhoon is on continuous Quick Reaction Alert (QRA) duties across Europe protecting sovereign airspace interests at extremely high readiness 24/7, 365 days a year, no matter what the conditions.
- Nowhere is this more tested than in the Gulf of Finland, where Eurofighter Typhoon is regularly called upon to protect Baltic airspace from unwanted incursions from a wide range of aircraft types.
- Eurofighter Typhoon is on a continual capability upgrade journey, ensuring it is ready to meet the threats of the future, to the 2060s and beyond.
- The aircraft has a significant programme of upgrades already on contract – including integration of beyond visual range, deep strike and high-precision capabilities - and a long development path defined for decades to come, ensuring it continues to offer the most advanced multi-role deterrent capability against air, land and sea threats.
- As part of the Eurofighter programme, Finland can have influence over the future programme and product, ensuring the aircraft is tailored to exact Finnish requirements.
Unrivalled capability, total support
- With increasing operational and support maturity the UK, and other operators, experience greater than 80% operational availability from Eurofighter Typhoon.
- As part of the programme, Finland would enjoy the benefits of such innovative solutions in Eurofighter Typhoon support.
- Continually striving for excellence and value for money in defence support solutions, the UK has recently realised a significant reduction in support costs through a new 10-year total support contract for Eurofighter Typhoon with BAE Systems, which will reduce the operating costs of the fleet by a third.
- As a proven platform with an established customer base, Eurofighter Typhoon provides absolute certainty in cost per flying hour and extremely competitive acquisition and through-life costs.
Adding the capability
Eurofighter Typhoon is subject to an extensive continuous capability upgrade programme. The latest Phase 1 Enhancement (P1E) package came into operation in 2015. This upgrade further enhanced the effectiveness of the aircraft and its simultaneous swing-role capabilities.
The Phase 2 Enhancement (P2E) package will introduce a range of new and improved long-range attack capabilities with the introduction of the deep strike, stand-off Storm Shadow and the game-changing Beyond Visual Range Meteor weapons, while the Phase 3 Enhancement (P3E) package, with the Dual Mode Brimstone weapon, will provide high-precision attack on moving targets.
The Phased Enhancement route map is underpinned by the development of an Advanced Electronically Scanned Array Radar. Further Phased Enhancements are currently being defined, ensuring the aircraft will continue to tackle future threats for decades to come. The Eurofighter support and training systems will continue to endure in parallel with the aircraft systems to support the aircraft’s enhanced capability and to optimize life cycle costs.
Typhoon enhancements and future capability
Beyond visual range capability - Meteor
Typhoon capability - Brimstone
Typhoon capability - Storm Shadow
Typhoon capability - E-Scan radar
Typhoon capability - P2E
Typhoon capability - P3E
Typhoon - Future capability