Meeting the threats of tomorrow together, Belgium would share the cost of continued capability evolution with European partners, offering the most cost-effective through-life solution to meet its defence needs.
Eurofighter Typhoon was developed through a European collaborative programme to meet the needs of the four initial nations, who not only benefited through the creation of a superior weapons system but also through the creation of technology and economic value.
A High Performance Twin Engine Multi-Role Fighter
Primary asset for European air defence for the foreseeable future
- 24/7 airspace protection through Quick Reaction Alert
- Fully interoperable with NATO assets
- A large customer base of 8 customers
- Carries and delivers both European and US weapons.
- Provides Air Policing to NATO
- Combat Proven in Libya, Syria and Iraq
- Outstanding reliability and maintainability, providing consistently high levels of operational readiness
- Capable of meeting all Belgium's current and future national and NATO commitments
Europe's Largest Defence Programme
- Collaboration between 4 nations - UK, Germany, Italy and Spain
- And the 3 leading European companies - Airbus, BAE Systems and Finmeccanica
- Additional customers of Austria, Saudi Arabia, Oman and Kuwait
- The programme provides a large number of high-skilled and high quality jobs across Europe
- There is a continual aircraft enhancement programme to maintain the weapons system at the forefront of capability
- Eurofighter Typhoon is a cost-assured and affordable solution which provides certainty in Cost Per Flying Hour
UK and European Relationship
- The UK Government is leading the Eurofighter relationship with Belgium, supported by Germany, Italy & Spain
- BAE Systems is leading Eurofighter Industry supported by Airbus, Finmeccanica and Eurojet
- The relationship brings opportunities for cooperation on support, training and operations with the Royal Air Force and other operators
- Eurofighter Typhoon would offer the basis to build on a 70+ year relationship with the Royal Air Force on the aircraft and wider co-operation to meet and enhance essential mutual security interests
- Becoming an associate partner in the Eurofighter programme provides Belgium with the opportunity for closer political, military and industrial relationships with key European partners
- EurofighterTyphoon is a European collaborative programme which creates wealth, technology and economic benefit for its current and future customers
- Belgium can be a key partner with influence over the future of the product and the programme
- The cost of continued aircraft development is shared by all customers, providing economies of scale and enhanced value to each customer
- The Eurofighter Industrial Consortium is underpinned by Airbus, BAE Systems and Finmeccanica, who together provide an unparalleled combination of industrial capability, experience and credibility.
- This industrial consortium currently supports more than 200 Belgian companies providing a substantial foundation to develop further beneficial industrial relationships
- The consortium will work with Belgian industry, academia and regional governments to identify opportunities to ttransfer knowledge, skills and IPR to create new technology-based projects leading to long-term, sustainable economic value