The sophistication and proliferation of infrared (IR) missiles continue to increase, both on the battlefield and in less-clearly defined hostile zones. Defeating these IR threats – which are often hidden until fired and can strike in seconds – is crucial, requiring more advanced aircraft survivability equipment. While many missile warning systems have a tough time staying ahead of evolving threats, the BAE Systems' CMWS has a proven, distinctly superior ability to protect both aircraft and crews in these situations.
Superior threat detection
- Standard U.S. Army missile warning
- Compatible with existing chaff, flare, and radio frequency decoy countermeasures dispensers, as well as laser DIRCM / ATIRCM systems
- Over 3,000 systems installed on fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft worldwide
- Flown more than 4 million combat theatre flight hours
- Hostile fire indication capabilities
- Enables data recording capabilities for post-mission analysis
- Can be used as a centralized processing system for Integrated Aircraft Survivability Equipment
Proven performance, platform adaptability
First called upon for a superior, adaptable aircraft survivability equipment solution by the U.S. Army, BAE Systems answered with a most viable solution –CMWS. Since CMWS was initially fielded in 2005, more than 3,000 systems have been delivered and installed on over 40 different platforms. Designed to work across a wide variety of aircraft, the system features line-replaceable units that can be switched out in 3-5 minutes on the flight line, with no need for special tools or test equipment. Given its more than 4 million combat hours and ability to customize algorithms to adapt to new threats, CMWS has repeatedly proven its adaptability and versatility in various situations.
Innovation with increased capabilities
At BAE Systems, we value our customer relationships greatly, providing continuous product support and incorporating user feedback to enhance our products. As a result of this feedback, our CMWS continues to evolve, always building on the success of prior technologies. The latest generation of this system's technology integrates hostile fire indication, missile warning, and data recording capabilities into one unit, allowing detection of small arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades while also enabling data recording for detailed post-mission analysis. The BAE Systems CMWS has saved dozens of lives over the years, while delivering enhanced integration and survivability capabilities that continue to evolve.
Approved for export
The AN/AAR-57 Common Missile Warning System is U.S. Department of Defense-approved for export, making this life-saving technology available to our allied nations around the world on military and head-of-state platforms.
Discover our related aircraft survivability equipment:
- ALE-47 Airborne Countermeasures Dispenser System
- OT-225 Advanced Threat Infrared Countermeasures (ATIRCM) System
- AN/ALQ-144 Infrared Countermeasures Set
- Smart D²™ system
- Optical Electronic Warfare Systems (OEWS)
- Worrell/Weeks Aircrew Protection Center – Threat Analysis Testing