As any automotive engineer knows, if you reduce the load on a vehicle's internal combustion engine, you reduce the amount of fuel it burns, the amount of wear on that engine, and even the amount of noise it makes. In a conventional bus, coach or truck platform, electric accessories like air conditioning, power steering, lighting, communications systems, and more are a significant load on the vehicle's diesel or CNG engine. But our REAL (Reduced Engine Accessory Loads) electrification system, operating more efficient electric accessories reduces fuel and maintenance costs, while extending its in-service use.
A REAL advantage
BAE Systems developed the REAL solution after powering electric accessories on thousands of hybrid vehicles for many years; applying that technology to conventional powertrain heavy vehicles to make them more efficient, cost-effective, and environmentally responsive. The REAL system's belt-driven, high-voltage permanent magnet generator replaces a dedicated A/C compressor and 28V hi-current alternator, and our APS (accessory power system) provides the power conversion and management to support all the accessory loads (including 208V and 230 Vac). It's a compact, simple, and highly effective design.
Today, REAL offers transit systems and bus companies an operational and environmental edge by fully electrifying accessories of conventional engine/transmission powered diesel- and CNG-fueled transit buses in 30', 35', 40', and 60' lengths, as well as 40' and 45' over-the-road coaches. REAL not only lowers costs, but also reduces noise, vibration, and harshness for passengers.
Key REAL benefits for your conventional buses or trucks include:
- Delivers "more-electric" benefits in support of environmental objectives
- Provides operational and maintenance (O&M) savings compared to conventional engine-driven accessories
- Operates equally well on engines using diesel or CNG fuel
- Uses existing power management and conversion hardware proven on 4,000 hybrid electric vehicles (HEV) in service
- Reduces scheduled and unscheduled maintenance costs
- Reduces external noise emissions and improves internal noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) for passengers
- Eliminates hydraulic oil in the engine compartment and its associated fire potential
System integration today, full support tomorrow
Unlike others in the industry, BAE Systems provides our customers with comprehensive power and propulsion systems integration and support. That means when you order our REAL system, know that we have partnered with the prime bus manufacturer to integrate our system properly from day one, including on-site technical advice and training. Then we back that work with our Flexible Service Plan – customized to fit the customer's business model – including a coordinated spares management program.