The Bristol Type 8 S2A was an attractive derivative of the successful Bristol Scout D, seating two crew side-by-side. It was designed against an Admiralty requirement for a two-seat fighter and 2 aircraft were built as advanced training aircraft.
In the event, The Admiralty ordered the Sopwith 1½ Strutter and the type was evaluated by the War Office as a potential trainer.
The two aircraft that were ordered (7836 and 7837) were powered by a 110hp Clerget rotary engine with the aircraft being flown for the first time in May and June 1916.
The two S2As were delivered to the Central Flying School at Upavon in June and July 1916. The second aircraft was later flown at Gosport, re-engined with a 100hp Gnome Monosoupape and fitted with a modified cowling.
|Powerplant||One 110hp Clerget rotary engine|
|Span||28 ft 2 in|
|Maximum Weight||1,400 lb|
|Capacity & Armament||Two crew; planned armament – single Lewis gun mounted above the upper wing centre section (not fitted in practice).|
|Maximum Speed||95 mph at sea level|
Two aircraft only, serials 7836, 7837.