The Bristol Type 6 was initially known as the Bristol TT (Twin Tractor) and was intended to be powered by two 150 hp RAF 4a engines. In the event however, these engines were not available and so a pair of 120 hp Beardmore engines were fitted with the type then being designated the Bristol TTA.
The TTA was a large twin-engine, three-bay biplane with the pilot located to the rear and a gunner located in a nose station, ahead of the wings to give the maximum possible field of fire. The intended role was described as being ‘a local defence two-seater’.
Two Bristol TTA were built (7750 and 7751) the first of these flying for the first time on 26th April 1916, the second following on 27th May.
The TTA was the subject of trials at Upavon in May 1916 although no orders were forthcoming. The type was criticised for the 'poor forward view' available to the pilot, the 'difficulty of close communication' between the crew and an overall 'poor control' responsiveness.
A single engine derivative (the F.3A) was mooted and although two were initially ordered these were cancelled almost immediately, neither aircraft being built.
|Powerplant||Two 120 hp Beardmore|
|Span||53 ft 6 in|
|Maximum Weight||5,100 lb|
|Capacity & Armament||Two seat (pilot and gunner). Intended armament twin Lewis guns in front cockpit; pilot single Lewis gun firing aft.|
|Maximum Speed||87 mph|
Two aircraft only, serials 7750, 7751.