Built by The British & Colonial Aeroplane Company, the first Bristol Monoplane was designed by George Challenger and AR Low, in 1911. It is mainly referred to as the '1911 Monoplane' in order to avoid confusion with the later Bristol M.1 Monoplane.
Like the Antoinette Monoplane, it featured a slim inverted triangular section fuselage and 50 hp Gnome engine. Two triangular rudders were fitted at the sternpost, above and below the tailplane and elevators whilst lateral control was by means of wing warping.
Two aircraft were built, (Bristol build numbers 35, 36) although unfortunately the first failed to fly when first tested at Larkhill in February 1911. After initial trials, it was returned to Filton to be prepared for static display at the International Aero Exhibition at Olympia in March, 1911.
After the exhibition, it was again tested at Larkhill, this time flown by French aviator Vespuy, where unfortunately it suffered further damage. The second machine (No36) was sent for display to an exhibition in St Petersburg in April 1911, although it failed to sell.
No further flying was reported and development of the 1911 Monoplane was abandoned, following the appointment of Pierre Prier to take over the design and development of Bristol monoplanes.
|Powerplant||50 hp Gnome rotary engine|
|Span||33 ft 6 in|
|Maximum Weight||760 lb|
|Maximum Speed||55 mph (estimated)|
Two only (build numbers 35 and 36); not successfully flown.
None - development halted in favour of monoplanes designed by Pierre Prier.