In the autumn of 1910, Sir George White commissioned a glider to be built by The British & Colonial Aeroplane Company Ltd for presentation to the Bristol and West of England Aero Club, of which he was the President. The Aero Club was very popular, with no less than 75 members.
The aircraft was designed by George Challenger and was of ‘boxkite’ configuration. Compared to the Bristol Boxkite, it had higher aspect ratio wings and featured a foreplane mounted relatively further forward. Two very small rudder surfaces were mounted between the upper and lower tailbooms.
Ailerons were fitted on the upper wings, with the foreplane and tail surfaces coupled together, to act as elevators.
The glider was first flown by Challenger at Keynsham on 17th December 1910. It was hand-towed into the air and upon landing it was retrieved uphill on a two-wheel 'Dolly'.
In February 1911, it suffered small damaged whilst later that year (4th September) it suffered a more serious accident with the repair costs reaching £30. It continued in use into 1912, although its ultimate fate is unknown.
|Span||32 ft 4 in|
|Length||33 ft 10 in|
|Capacity||Pilot and passenger|
Single example only, flown in late 1910 and continued in use into 1912.