The Bristol Type 73 Taxiplane was an attractive three-seat single engine biplane using the Bristol Lucifer power unit. The pilot sat in an open front cockpit ahead of his passengers, who were accommodated side by side in a second open cockpit.
The type was constructed predominantly of wood with fabric covering. The passenger cockpit was provided with a hinged entry door on the port side together with a small baggage compartment with a separate access door. The upper and lower wings were identical to reduce the number of spares required.
This rear three quarter view of the Bristol Taxiplane clearly shows the two passengers in its rear cockpit.
The Lucifer 3-cylinder radial engine was provided with a hinged mounting, to allow ready access to the rear of the engine, and its accessories when required.
The first Taxiplane (G-EBEW) was flown for the first time on 13th February 1923 although when tested at Martlesham Heath, certification was only approved for use as a two-seat machine, it being considered to be underpowered with three occupants.
In the light of this disappointing assessment, only three Taxiplanes were built although the design showed considerable promise and the Company revised the design as a two-seat primary trainer (the Type 83 which is described separately) of which 24 were built plus a Type 83E which served as a testbed for the Bristol Titan engine.