Blackburn
White Falcon

A one-off two-seat monoplane built for the personal use of Blackburn’s test pilot W Rowland Ding.
Blackburn White Falcon Roundhay Park W Rowland Ding The Blackburn White Falcon in Roundhay Park with test pilot W Rowland Ding in the cockpit.
 
The Blackburn White Falcon aircraft was built by  Blackburn Aeroplane and Motor Company  for Chief Test Pilot W. Rowland Ding, who actually commissioned this two-seat monoplane for his own personal use to enable him to fly to different locations so he could also conduct tests for other manufacturers. 
 
It may have also been used as a Communications aircraft by Mr Ding, whilst making deliveries to Royal Naval Air Stations (RNAS) around the UK, before acting as a ferry aircraft returning delivery pilots back to the Works in Leeds. This became vital during the Great war when making urgent deliveries of the BE2c aircraft, built by Blackburn for the Royal Flying Corps (RFC). 
 
The White Falcon aircraft was constructed at the Olympia Works (Leeds) during 1915, probably first flown in early 1916. It was a clean, mid-wing monoplane design, seating two persons in tandem. Power was supplied by a 100 hp Anzani radial engine driving a four-blade wooden propeller.
 
It bore a resemblance to the Blackburn Type I Monoplane that was being operated on floats from Lake Windermere, which was also known as the ‘Land / Sea’ Monoplane. The main difference between the types was that Blackburn White Falcon had a square cross-section fuselage rather than the inverted triangular section normally associated with previous Blackburn monoplanes.
 
The aircraft was flown from Soldiers’ Field in Roundhay Park, Leeds and bore the Blackburn Company insignia on the fuselage side together with the pilot’s monogram on the rudder. It later received service roundels on the fuselage side and the wings, although it never carried service serial number. 
 
Sadly, very little further information is available concerning the type’s use and history.
 
Blackburn White Falcon three qtr port side The White Falcon monoplane in front of an admiring crowd in Roundhay Park.
 

Variants & Number Built


One only, no serial number, built in 1915.

 

Specification


Powerplant
One 100 hp Anzani radial engine
Span
39 ft 6 in
Maximum Weight
Not known
Capacity & Armament
Pilot and passenger, unarmed.
Maximum speed
87 mph (estimated)
 

Survivors


None