Combat Systems Engineering (Higher)
About the scheme
The Combat Systems Engineering Apprenticeship is a Higher Apprenticeship comprising off-the-job training at a local college and on-the-job training across a variety of Naval Ships – Combat Systems Engineering disciplines including:
- Combat Systems Integration
- Software Design
- Product Safety
- Combat Systems Engineering
- Platform & Software Security
Working towards both practical and academic targets, this competency based programme takes up to four years to complete, building on your technical ability, knowledge and transferable skills.
As a Combat Systems Engineering Apprentice, you will be highly trained and closely mentored to gain skills required to work within our technical working environment. From day one you will be earning a competitive salary with yearly increases related to performance and achievement.
You will be joining our team of highly skilled and dedicated employees based primarily at New Malden or Frimley, who work in our Naval Ships business. This area of BAE Systems design and manufacture naval equipment and Combat Systems to meet our customers’ rapidly evolving needs, remaining agile to deliver on our commitments, wherever and whenever our customers need us.
- five GCSEs grade A*-C / 9-4 including Mathematics, English and Double Science or equivalent qualification.
- 2 A Levels (Grade A-C) - one must be in Maths and one technical or science subject., e.g. Physics, Electronics, Design, Chemistry, Biology, Information Technology, Computing etc
- OR an Extended BTEC National (DMM profile in an Engineering or Computing discipline), this must include the Level 3 Mathematics for IT module, at a minimum Merit level.
In addition, you must be able to demonstrate a level of hands on practical aptitude and will have good team working and communication skills. Applicants will also be expected to be medically fit as deemed necessary to perform the role, be eligible to work in the UK and be able to successfully achieve security clearance. As a company committed to talent, we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds and with many different skills, experience and perspectives.
We encourage and support you to realise your potential. You’ll have the opportunity to learn from colleagues who are experts in their field, and gain insights that can only come from real world experience.
A typical apprenticeship for this opportunity will see you gain the following qualifications:
- Year 1: HNC Computing and Systems Development, Employment Rights and Responsibilities & Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- Year 2: HND Computing and Systems Development Year 1
- Year 3: HND Computing and Systems Development Year 2 & Level 4 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals Year 1
- Year 4:Level 4 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals Year 2
At the end of your apprenticeship, you will have had a good mix of learning experiences to ensure you develop the skills that will support you and the business in the future.
- Competitive starting salary (c. £17,000) with annual increases based on your performance and achievements. On completion a salary of c. £30,000 will be realised
- Pension scheme
- Car lease, childcare, mobile phone contracts and share schemes
- 25 days' holiday per year
- Tailored induction
The selection process is made up of five stages:
- Online application form
- Application review
- Aptitude testing
- Assessment Centre & Competency Interview
- Medical & Security checks
Top tip: Be sure you give yourself enough time to prepare a quality application; it is worth spending some time to make sure all areas of the form are completed fully and properly. Good luck with your application.