Blue Star Families, founded by military spouses in 2009, is committed to strengthening military families by connecting them with their neighbors and helping them overcome the isolation and alienation of frequent moves, deployments, and reduced support from the government. With more than 150,000 members in their network, including chapters and communities all over the world, Blue Star Families touches more than 1.5 million military family members every year.
In over a decade of partnership, BAE Systems has supported Blue Star Families in many ways including the annual Military Family Lifestyle Survey and the Stars, Stripes, and Snowflakes Holiday Party.
What inspires your organization to do what you do? / How do you support our military?
- OUR MISSION: Supporting military families by building strong communities of support around them to improve our military readiness.
- THE PROBLEM: If military families aren’t thriving, their service members aren’t mission ready, thus jeopardizing the entire force.
- OUR UNIQUE APPROACH:
- Listen: We keep a pulse on military family concerns through our national survey.
- Share & Partner: We use the data to find solutions by fostering collaborations and informing legislative change.
- Act: We deliver free events, programs, and resources; reaching over 1M+ families annually and delivering over $83M in benefits.
What is the most significant need you are seeing for military families right now?
Active-duty family respondents in 2020 reported their top issue is military spouse employment. This is a perennial issue exacerbated by COVID-19 school and childcare closures and the shift to virtual schooling. It can contribute to, or protect against, other military family issues such as food insecurity.
How can people get involved with/support your organization?
People can get involved by joining as a Blue Star Families member, volunteering, and/or donating to Blue Star Families.