The Bristol Type 92 was known as the 'Laboratory Biplane'. It was a two-seat two-bay biplane, designed by Bristol Aeroplane Company to be flown with either a three foot or five foot diameter circular-section fuselage, for the purpose of investigating the drag and cooling issues of air-cooled radial engines. These problems were largely resolved by the widespread adoption of the Townend Ring (or NACA cowling).
The aircraft featured a large wing gap of nine feet to minimise wing-fuselage interference, the position of the lower wing also resulting in a wide track undercarriage. The concept dated from 1923 but the sole aircraft to be built did not make its first flight until 13th November 1925.
Trials at Filton continued for two years, mostly with the smaller diameter fuselage. No photos have been found of the completed aircraft in its flight configuration. The larger fuselage fairing was briefly fitted, but flying ceased following damage caused by a heavy landing.
|Powerplant||One 450 hp Bristol Jupiter VI|
|Span||36 ft 0 in|
|Maximum Weight||3,400 lb|
|Capacity & Armament||Pilot and test observer|
|Maximum Speed||132 mph|
Single example only, flown without civil markings.