The Aircraft Company
The Aircraft Company, better known nowadays as Airco, was formed by George Holt Thomas on 6th June 1911, combining The Aeroplane Supply Company of St Stephens's House, Westminster, with Airship Limited of Merton.
After initial use of the former skating rink at Merton, the company occupied a disused bus/tram depot (previously used by the Metropolitan Electric Tramway and Omnibus Company) at The Hyde, ½ mile south of Hendon.
The Aircraft Company held the sole rights in the United Kingdom for the building of Henri and Maurice Farman aeroplanes, a deal secured by Mr Holt Thomas in early 1912. (The Farman Brothers works were at 167, Rue de Silly, Billancourt, France).
The Aircraft Manufacturing Company (Airco)
Hendon was fast becoming a hive of aeronautical activity with Grahame-White Aircraft and Handley Page established on and close to the new Hendon Aerodrome.
|1911||The Aircraft Company Limited|
|1912||Aircraft Manufacturing Company Limited (AirCo)|
|1920||De Havilland Aircraft Company Limited|
|1963||Hawker Siddeley Aviation|
|1915||Airco DH1 / 1a||1917||Airco DH9 / 9a / 9c|
|1915||Airco DH2||1918||Airco DH10 - Amiens|
|1916||Airco DH3 / 3a||1919||Airco DH11 - Oxford|
|1916||Airco DH4 / 4a / 4r||1919||Airco DH16 - Arras|
|1916||Airco DH5||1920||Airco DH18|