In 1919 and following a substantial decline in business with the end of war work, the Preston-based Dick, Kerr & Company amalgamated with Phoenix Dynamo Manufacturing Company of Bradford and the Coventry Ordnance Works to form the English Electric Co. Ltd.
In 1920, it formed an Aviation Division with manufacturing based at Strand Rd, Preston and assembly with flight testing based at Lytham. Despite the Aircraft Design Team, led by W.O. Manning, being busily engaged in the creation of the Kingston, they decided to experiment with a small flying boat and so it is this that emerged as their first completed design.
The Ayr was a single-engine, three seat Fleet gunnery and spotting biplane with a weight of some 3 tons and a wingspan of 46 feet. It had an intended crew comprising a pilot, wireless operator and an observer/gunner.
It was an unusual concept in so far that the lower pair of wings (known as stub wings) were made watertight and buoyant to act as stabilisers (sponsons) when taking off and landing, thereby eliminating the need for wingtip floats. These were fitted directly onto the hull which had been designed by the famous award-winning sailor Linton Hope.
Two prototypes were ordered (N148 and N149) at a price of £9,550 each.
On 10th March 1925 the prototype (N148) was launched into the Ribble Estuary with Chief Test Pilot Marcus Manton at the controls. Taxying proved difficult as the aircraft rocked from side to side on its sponsons, submerging each lower wing in turn. With increasing speed, hydrodynamic lifting forces on the submerged wing became more pronounced and at 10 mph the wing shot out of the water, allowing the Ayr to continue planing on an even keel. It proved difficult to keep the aircraft on a straight course but Manton was able to maintain a course sufficiently straight for take-off.
Unfortunately, at high speed water was thrown up from the bows which submerged the lower wings, causing the aircraft to dive once more and it refused to take-off from the water. More attempts were made but all were unsuccessful.
That first prototype (N148) was the only aircraft to be completed as the second prototype (N149) was still in manufacture when English Electric closed their aircraft business in 1926.
Variants and Numbers
|Powerplant||One 450 hp Napier Lion IIb|
|Wingspan||Upper wing: 46 ft Lower wing: 30 ft|
|Maximum weight||(Estimated) 6,846 lb|
|Max Speed||(Estimated) 127 mph at sea level|
|Service Ceiling||(Estimated) 14,500 ft|
|Capacity||Crew plus nose- and rear-mounted 0.303 Lewis guns, provision for bomb carriage beneath the lower wings|