The De Havilland DH93 Don was designed to meet Air Ministry Specification T.6/36 which called for a side-by-side Advanced Trainer, suitable for pilot, radio operator and gunnery training.
A clean low-wing monoplane with a retractable undercarriage, the Don initially appeared with a turret to the rear of the cockpit area. The first prototype E.3 (later L2387) flew for the first time on 18th June 1937.
The fuselage was of stressed skin ply covering and the type featured a particularly clean installation of its 525 hp DH Gipsy King engine.
In practice, the official requirement for the gunnery role was dropped and the majority were built as communications aircraft with a raised and faired rear fuselage. Subsequently the initial order for 250 aircraft was sunstantially reduced to just 50 which was a major disappointment for De Havilland. 20 aircraft were delivered 'engine-less' as ground trainers whilst the remainder served as Communications and Liaison aircraft serviing predominantly with 24 Sqn RAF and with various Station Flights.
By March 1939, the Don had been withdrawn from operational service.
|Powerplant||One 525 hp DH Gipsy King 1|
|Span||47 ft 6 in|
|Maximum Weight||6,530 lb|
|Capacity & Armament||Two pilots, gunner and radio operator trainee, or four passengers in communications role.|
|Maximum Speed||189 mph|
|Endurance||Max range 890 miles|
Numbers and Survivors
|50||20 of these delivered to store without engines|