The De Havilland Comet 3 (G-ANLO) flew for the first time on 19th July 1954 and was in reality an extensively developed aircraft, derived from the earlier Comet 1 and 2.
Fuselage length was increased by 15' 5" to provide accommodation for up to 58 passengers (although this was further increased with the introduction of the Comet 4) plus the addition of wing pinion fuel tanks which were introduced to provide extended range capability.
Many regard the Comet 3 as the most attractive in appearance of all the Comets although trials indicated that it lacked the range required for North Atlantic operations. Further modifications were introduced to generate the Comet 4, the main production variant utilised by BOAC. The Comet 4 had the required performance for non-stop services from London to New York, this service being inaugurated on 4th October 1958.
In addition to the BOAC fleet, export sales were also made to Aerolineas Argentinas (6 aircraft) and East African Airways (3 aircraft).
However, the need for a higher capacity aircraft was identified by Capital Airlines in the USA (although their order was subsequently cancelled). The aircraft that duly emerged was the Comet 4B which was specifcially for BEA operations. This variant can readily distinguished by its longer fuselage section (118 ft compared with 111 ft 6 in) and the lack of the wing pinion fuel tanks. 18 were built: 14 for BEA and 4 for Olympic Airways.
The final version the Comet 4C combined the fuselage of the Comet 4B with the wings of the Comet 4 to produce a long fuselage variant with pinion tanks. The Comet 4C was notably successful in the export market with sales to Misrair, Mexicana, Aerolineas Argentinas, Sudan Airways, Kuwait Airways and Middle East Airlines.
Heritage DH Comet 3 & 4 Image Gallery
The only Comet 3 (G-ANLO)
DH Comet 3B (G-ANLO) with shortened wings air to air in September 1958
DH Comet 4 BOAC (G-APDB) take off from Hatfield August 1958
DH Comet C2 RAF (XK697) Preparing for departure November 1957
DH Comet 4C Misrair (UAA) Passenger cabin 1960
DH Comet 4C Kuwait Airways (9K-ACE) air to air on 17th December 1963
DH Comet 4 East African Airways (VP-KPJ at Nairobi Embakasi Airport on 19th September 1960
DH Comet 4 BOAC (G-APDC) passengers boarding for the first Trans-Atlantic service 4th October 1958
DH Comet 4C Mexicana (XA-NAS) air to air 3rd December 1959
|Initial designation for development aircraft (G-ANLO) but never put into production.|
|G-ANLO was converted to Mk 4B specification and redesignated Mk 3B.|
|Modified Mk 3 design with different alloy for the fuselage and BOAC put the Mk 4 in service in 1958.|
|A short range version of the Comet with longer fuselage and reduced wing span - Launch customer cancelled the order so none were built.|
|Intended for shorter range operations, the shorter wing was kept but the pinion tanks were removed, resulting in a smaller fuel capacity. The fuselage was stretched further.|
|A combination of theMk 4B and the Mk 4.|
|The Mk C.4 was the Mk 4C operated by the RAF. A total of 5 Mk C.4s were built.|
|Project to counter the success of the DC-8 and the B-707 but never built.|
|Comet 4C modified as prototypes for a maritime patrol for the Royal Air Force.|
HS801 Nimrod is dealt with under Hawker Siddeley
Specification (Comet 4)
|Powerplant||Four 10,500 lbst RR Avon 524 jet engines|
|Span||114 ft 10 in|
|Maximum Weight||160,000 lb|
|Capacity||60 to 76 passengers|
|Cruising Speed||503 mph|
|Range (full load)||3,225 miles|
|Comet 4c (G-BDIX / XR399)||
National Museum of Flight, East Fortune, Scotland, UK
|Comet 4 (G-APDB)||Imperial War Museum, Duxford, Cambs UK
|Comet 4b (G-AYPD)||Science Museum, Wroughton, Wiltshire, UK
|Comet 4c (G-BIDW / XR398)||Flugausstellung Hermeskeil, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
|Comet 4c (G-CPDA / XS235)||Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome, Brunting Thorpe, UK
|Comet 4c (N888WA)||Museum of Flight, Seattle, Washington, USA
A number of nose and fuselage sections are also preserved.