We need to deliver on our customer commitments and to do that we require talented and determined individuals, hence why undergraduates and graduates are valuable to our business. However, we don't just want to give you a job, we want to invest in your career. That's why our schemes ensure that you benefit from both technical and behavioural training through placements, mentoring, conferences and courses. Whether pursuing a role in business, engineering or finance we want you to become professionals in your field.
Having worked with our graduate programmes for the past 5 years, I can honestly say that I have worked with some amazing graduates. I’ve enjoyed giving them the opportunity to learn from a variety of people, working on challenging projects from the outset whilst having a lot of fun along the way!".
Cath Hargreaves - UK Graduate Manager
Working at BAE Systems
Whichever route you take, you'll have an impact on the real world.
At BAE Systems, we provide some of the world’s most advanced, technology-led defence, aerospace and security solutions and employ a skilled workforce of some 82,500 people in over 40 countries. Working with customers and local partners, we develop, engineer, manufacture and support products and systems to deliver military capability, protect national security and people and keep critical information and infrastructure secure.
That’s work that inspires us. That’s BAE Systems.
We place great importance not just on what we do, but how we do it and why.
Our core Values help shape who we are as a Company and underpin all that we do.
- Trusted: We deliver on our commitments. We are honest and take responsibility so that we can be relied upon. In our organisation, everyone’s contribution matters.
- Innovative: We create leading-edge solutions by valuing the imagination and experience within our organisation. We empower teams and work together to turn our ideas and technologies into solutions.
- Bold: We constructively challenge and take the initiative, operating with tenacity and resolve. We accept challenges and manage risk and set ourselves stretching goals.
- Times Top 100 Graduate Employer
- Times Top 50 Employer for Women
- UK’s biggest employer of professional engineers (18,000 in total)
- Annual sales in excess of £22.4 billion
- Annual research & development spend in excess of £1.2 billion
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on a question to reveal the answer...
- How many graduates do you recruit each year?
Each year across a number of different sites within the UK, we take on approximately 150 graduates on to the Graduate Development Framework, 12 graduates onto our Finance Leader Development Programme and 6 individuals onto our Sigma Leadership Programme.
- Do you only recruit engineering graduates?
No, we have a wide range of roles available including opportunities in business and finance. Even for our engineering roles, you do not need an engineering degree - you can apply for these roles providing you have a mathematical or scientific related degree.
- I’m not a UK National, can I still apply?
Yes, we operate an equal opportunities policy and welcomes applications from all job seekers. As a defence contractor though there are security obligations placed on the Company meaning that all our applicants must be able to successfully achieve the relevant level of security clearance to join.
- Do you sponsor visas to work in the UK?
Under the current immigration rules BAE Systems has a very limited ability to sponsor visas to enable individuals to work in the United Kingdom. We would therefore only consider sponsorship for exceptional candidates.
- Can I apply to multiple schemes?
We ask that you select the scheme most suited to you and only make one application.
- How do I apply?
Simply view our current opportunities and then use the online application form to apply.
- What happens once I have submitted my application?
Once you have submitted your application you will receive an email notification to confirm your application has been received. Your application will then be reviewed and if successful you will be invited to the next recruitment stage. Given the number of applications we receive, this process may take a few weeks so please be patient. The application process will include an online application, online tests, video interview, face-to-face interview/ assessment centre.
- What happens when I finish a graduate scheme?
You are a permanent employee from day one, and upon completion of the scheme, we will support you to transition into a suitable role available in the business.
- If I am unsuccessful can I apply again next year?
Yes, you can apply next year.
- Can I move business areas while on a graduate scheme?
For the Graduate Development Framework, we ask you that you apply to one area of the business and if successful, you will be employed by that business area. While on the scheme, you might have the opportunity to move to a different business area but this has to align to our business requirements and your development needs. Our Sigma Leadership Programme and Finance Leader Development Programme are UK flexible though meaning that you will work in multiple business areas while on these schemes.
- Can I work abroad while on a graduate scheme?
Our graduate schemes are UK based so opportunities to work abroad are rare. That’s not to say you won’t work abroad but an international placement has to align to our business requirements and your development needs. We do encourage those on the Sigma Leadership Programme to undertake an international assignment.
- Are you committed to corporate responsibility?
Creating a successful and sustainable business requires more than financial results. The Company places great importance not just on what we do, but how we do it. Responsible business is embedded within our Strategy and is supported across the businesses via our Corporate Responsibility agenda.