Message from our Group Managing Director
Join our Company as an apprentice and you'll occupy a very special place within our business.
So at every stage, you can expect to have significant time and money invested in your development. You’ll benefit from some of the best training around, and gain qualifications that will give you a great start in your career. Perhaps even more importantly, you’ll have the chance to learn from world-class colleagues, and experience the kind of landmark projects that anyone would want on their CV.
But that’s all in the future. For now, you need to decide which area of our business is right for you. We’re a big company with many specialist divisions, so there’s no single apprenticeship scheme here. Instead, we have a number of distinct routes and each one is tailored to the specific demands of that career path.
Working at BAE Systems
Whichever route you take, you'll have an impact on the real world. Join us and you;ll be part of a valued team.
We place great importance not just on what we do but how we do it and why.
Our core Values help shape who we are as a Company and underpin all that we do.
- Trusted: We deliver on our commitments. We are honest and take responsibility so that we can be relied upon. In our organisation, everyone’s contribution matters.
- Innovative: We create leading-edge solutions by valuing the imagination and experience within our organisation. We empower teams and work together to turn our ideas and technologies into solutions.
- Bold: We constructively challenge and take the initiative, operating with tenacity and resolve. We accept challenges and manage risk and set ourselves stretching goals.
- Over 400 apprentices recruited each year
- Our apprenticeships are rated as ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted
- We are a Times Top 50 Employers for Women
- We are the UK’s biggest employer of professional engineers (circa 18,000 in total)
- Many of our apprentices go on to win regional & national apprentice awards
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on a question to reveal the answer...
- Do you only recruit engineering apprentices?
No, we have a wide range of opportunities available including business apprenticeships.
- I’m not a UK National, can I still apply?
Yes, we operate an equal opportunities policy and welcomes applications from all job seekers. As a defence contractor though there are security obligations placed on the Company meaning that all our applicants must be able to successfully achieve the relevant level of security clearance to join us. Unfortunately we are unable to sponsor Tier 2 visa applications for apprentice positions as they do not meet the minimum qualifying criteria for sponsorship requirements as laid out in the government guidelines.
- Can I apply for more than one apprenticeship opportunity?
Yes, we can accept one Advanced Apprenticeship and one Higher Apprenticeship application each recruitment cycle.
- What happens once I have submitted my application?
Once you have submitted your application you will receive an email notification to confirm your application has been received. Your application will then be reviewed and if successful you will be invited to the next recruitment stage. Given the number of applications we receive, this process may take a few weeks so please be patient.
- If I am unsuccessful can I apply again next year?
Yes, you can apply next year.
- Will the company support me to gain additional qualifications?
Support for additional qualifications is available but have to align to our business requirements and your development needs.
- Are you committed to corporate responsibility?
Creating a successful and sustainable business requires more than financial results. The Company places great importance not just on what we do, but how we do it. Responsible business is embedded within our Strategy and is supported across the businesses via our Corporate Responsibility (CR) agenda.
- What happens when I finish my apprenticeship?
If you successfully complete your apprenticeship, we will support you to transition into a suitable role subject to the requirements of the business.
- Can I apply if I have a degree?
Applications may be rejected where the business considers an individual has already achieved qualifications of the same or higher level in equivalent disciplines to those provided by the apprentice scheme and that therefore the apprenticeship scheme would provide limited benefit for them.
- When do you open and close for applications to the Apprentice Scheme?
The application window for 2018 apprentice opportunities will open in November 2017 and will close on 28th February 2018 at midnight.
- How long is the selection process?
The process consists of five stages, details of which can be found on the role profile pages of the website. Dependant on fulfilment of the requirements, the process can take until July/August to complete.
- Will I be required to travel during the selection process?
If you are invited to an interview, you will be required to travel to the area you have applied to in order for the interview to take place.
- Will I be reimbursed for travel expenses?
We are unable to reimburse travel expenses incurred during the selection process.
- How long is an apprenticeship at BAE Systems?
The length of the apprenticeship varies dependant on role and location however can be between 2 and 5 years. Please see individual role profiles for further information on programme length.
- If successful, when would I start?
If you are successful in your application, the start date may be between July and September, dependent on the role and business area you are recruited in to.
- If successful, would I be able to receive help with relocating if I need to relocate?
We are unable to assist with relocation in terms of financial assistance. Please think carefully about the area you are applying to and whether it is viable for you.
- If I am unsuccessful, will this affect me if I apply next year?
No, this will not affect you if you apply next year. Whatever stage you reach will provide you with experience of an application process which may assist you in the future.
- Who can I contact if I have any questions?
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the Apprentice Recruitment Team on 01772 677277 or email email@example.com.
Please note that we are able to discuss the application with the candidate only.