“Throughout his career, Michael Chertoff has clearly demonstrated the ability to lead complex global organizations responsible for fulfilling critical missions,” said Ian King, Chief Executive, BAE Systems plc.
“As an existing board member, we have benefited from Secretary Chertoff’s wise counsel and deep understanding of global security challenges,” said Linda P. Hudson, President & CEO, BAE Systems, Inc. “We look forward to his expanded leadership role as Chairman of the BAE Systems, Inc. Board of Directors.”
Chertoff was appointed to the BAE Systems, Inc. Board of Directors on 25 May 2010. His experience in the security domain has helped BAE Systems more effectively develop cyber security solutions, combat terrorism and organized crime, and strengthen national security for its government and private sector customers.
He succeeds Gen. Anthony C. Zinni (USMC, Retired), whose term as Chairman of the BAE Systems, Inc. Board of Directors concludes this month. Gen. Zinni has served as Chairman since 26 June 2009 and as a member of the BAE Systems, Inc. Board of Directors since 29 November 2000. Zinni will remain as an outside director on the board through April 2014.
“We are grateful to Tony Zinni for his leadership as Chairman during an important period in which BAE Systems established itself as one of the top-performing defense and security companies in the United States,” said King. “His contributions at BAE Systems represent yet another series of accomplishments in a long career dedicated to strengthening the security of the United States and its allies.”
BAE Systems, Inc., a U.S. corporation, operates under a Special Security Agreement (SSA) among the U.S. Government, BAE Systems, Inc. and BAE Systems plc. The agreement calls for the appointment of outside directors who help to oversee the company’s compliance with U.S. government security and export regulations, thereby allowing BAE Systems to supply products and services to the Department of Defense, Intelligence Community, Homeland Security and other agencies involved in United States national defense.
BAE Systems, Inc.’s highly distinguished Board of Directors includes:
- The Honorable Michael Chertoff, Chairman of the Board, Former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Robert Fitch , Defense industry consultant, former Army intelligence officer and former Congressional intelligence committee staff director
- Chairman Lee H. Hamilton, Former Member of Congress, Chairman of the House Intelligence and Foreign Relations Committees, and Co-Chair of the 9/11 Commission
- Richard J. Kerr, Former Deputy Director of Central Intelligence
- Lt. General Kenneth A. Minihan (USAF, ret.), Former Director National Security Agency
- Admiral Robert Natter(USN, ret.), Former Commander of Fleet Forces & Atlantic Command
- General J.H. Binford Peay, III (USA, ret.), Former Vice Chief of Staff U.S. Army and Commander of U.S. Central Command
- Dr. William Schneider, Jr, Former Undersecretary of State for Security, Science & Technology
Anthony C. Zinni(USMC, ret.), Former Commander of U.S. Central Command
- Ian T. Graham, Senior Vice President & General Counsel, BAE Systems, Inc.
- Linda Hudson, President & CEO, BAE Systems, Inc.
- Erin Moseley, Senior Vice President, Government Relations, BAE Systems, Inc.
For further information, please contact:
Brian Roehrkasse, BAE Systems
Phone: +1 703 312-6976 Mobile: +1 703 307-2568
Ref # 055/2012