Potential job losses are as follows:
• 79 at Chadderton, Greater Manchester
• 214 at Farnborough, Hampshire
• 55 at Prestwick in Ayrshire
• 119 at Samlesbury, Lancashire
• 668 at Warton, Lancashire
• 15 at Yeovil, Somerset
• 127 at RAF Cottesmore, Rutland
• 30 at RAF Kinloss, Moray
Kevin Taylor, Managing Director of BAE Systems Military Air Solutions commented:
“Since the publication of the SDSR in October we have taken time to understand the implications for our business. We have recently received termination for customer convenience notices for the Nimrod MRA4 and Harrier contracts and this has regrettably led us to initiating consultation regarding potential job losses.
“Today’s announcement is designed to ensure we remain competitive as we actively pursue a number of opportunities for our other products and services both in the UK and internationally. Military Air Solutions remains a sustainable business with a strong business plan. I appreciate this is difficult news for our people and we are committed to working with employees and their representatives to explore ways of mitigating the potential job losses.”
Notes to Editors:
• In addition, as a result of the cancellation of the Nimrod MRA4 programme, the consultation will cover potentially closing the Woodford Site in Cheshire earlier than had been previously announced.
• At Chadderton, Prestwick, Yeovil and RAF Kinloss the potential job losses are associated with the cancellation of the Nimrod MRA4 programme.
• At Farnborough and RAF Cottesmore the potential job losses are associated with the early withdrawal from service of the Harrier fleet.
• At Samlesbury and Warton the potential job losses are associated with both the cancellation for customer convenience of the Nimrod MRA4 programme and the early withdrawal from service of the Harrier fleet.
• In addition, BAE Systems Saudi Arabia has today initiated consultation with employee representatives on 90 potential job losses in its UK business, predominantly at Samlesbury. These potential job losses result from the continued realisation of the home market strategy, coupled with our ongoing commitments to Saudisation and Industrialisation in Saudi Arabia.
About BAE Systems
BAE Systems is a global defence, security and aerospace company with approximately 107,000 employees worldwide. The Company delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. In 2009 BAE Systems reported sales of £22.4 billion (US$ 36.2 billion).
Home markets are markets which have a significant and sustained commitment to defence and security budgets. They are countries which welcome foreign investment to develop and sustain a domestic industrial capability and possess a skilled work.
Industrialisation involves mutually beneficial partnerships, including technology transfer, for BAE Systems’ customers, in support of defence equipment sales
Saudisation is the process of in-Kingdom job creation and training for Saudi nationals
BAE Systems, Farnborough, Hampshire GU14 6YU, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1252 384719 Fax: +44 (0) 1252 383947
24hr media hotline: + 44 (0) 7801 717739