This website uses cookies. By navigating around this site you consent to cookies being stored on your machine

Scottish Aviation

Originally a Flying School based at Prestwick, Scottish Aviation joined British Aerospace in 1977.

Scottish Aviation

Scottish Aviation LogoThe Scottish Aviation Limited was initially formed in 1933 by the aviation pioneer, Duncan McIntyre as a Flying School.  McIntyre was partnered by the then Duke of Hamilton (Douglas Douglas-Hamilton) and in 1935 they founded the Scottish College of Aviation Limited although just 1 year later they changed the name to Scottish Aviation Limited. 
 
McIntyre was already the owner of Prestwick Airfield and they soon acquired, dismantled, transported and re-erected a building used as The Palace of Engineering at the 1938 Empire Exhibition in Glasgow.
 
Sited alongside the now Prestwick Airport, just 30 miles from Glasgow, the new building was predominantly used as a home for the flying school. 
 
However, with the amount of US Air Force personnel and aircraft arriving for the war effort, Scottish Aviation started to undertake aircraft fitting, maintenance and conversion of many aircraft types.  Initially it received and converted American Consolidated Liberators for the RAF Ferry, Transport and Coastal Commands in preparation for operations over the North Atlantic. 
 
Douglas Skyraiders in Hangar at Prestwick
Douglas Skyraiders at Prestwick
 
Additionally, Scottish Aviation Limited carried out repair and overhaul on Sunderland flying boats as well as overseeing the work of Civilian Repair Organisation on Spitfires and Hurricanes.
 
Post war, they continued with airliner conversion and modifications and produced their own robust STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) military aircraft such as the Pioneer and latterly the much larger Twin Pioneer.
 
During the 1960’s the company supported all Royal Canadian Air Force aircraft operating throughout Europe and conducted more than 1,000 Canadair CF-104 Starfighter test flights from Prestwick. 
 
With the Sussex-based Beagle Aircraft Company going into receivership in 1969, Scottish Aviation Limited took over the production of the Bulldog aircraft and after forming Scottish Aviation (Bulldog) Limited, completed the order for the Swedish Air Force. 
 
Another collapse one year later saw Scottish Aviation Limited take over the production of the Jetstream Turbo-prop aircraft from Handley Page Limited in 1970.
 
It continued to develop the Jetstream range under the heading Jetstream Aircraft Limited until Scottish Aviation was merged into British Aerospace in 1977.

Genealogy

   Scottish Aviation Elementary Flying Training School
 1935     Scottish Aviation Limited
 1977      British Aerospace
1999  BAE Systems

Aircraft

1947  Pioneer 1969 Jetstream                  
1955  Twin Pioneer 1969 Bulldog

More Information