Blackburn B-2 Trainer
The Blackburn B-2 prototype (G-ABUW) made its first flight at Brough on 10th December 1931, powered by a DH Gipsy III engine.
A side-by-side biplane trainer aircraft, the B-2 was designed to be immensely strong to enable it to withstand the rigours of instructional flying and it featured fabric covered duralumin main planes, mated on an all-metal semi-monocoque fuselage. Leading edge slots were also added to allow better low-speed handling.
The B-2 was fitted with various engines over its 6 year / 42 aircraft production life (1931 – 1937) initially with a De Havilland Gipsy III engine although the more powerful Gipsy Major and subsequently the 120hp Cirrus Hermes engine were fitted later on.
The RAF and the Air Ministry were the majority users and although the prototype was shipped to Portugal for evaluation it was unsuccessful against the De Havilland Tiger Moth. In civillian use, the B-2 equipped Flying Schools at Brough Aerodrome and London Aero Park, Hanworth although the latter aircraft were moved to Brough at the outbreak of World War II.
BAE Systems now owns the fully restored 37th production aircraft (G-AEBJ) and it appears at air shows and events throughout the UK.
|Powerplant||De Havilland Gipsy III 120hp (90kW)|
|Span||30 ft 2 in (9.20 m)|
|Maximum Weight||1,850 lbs (841kg)|
|Range||320 miles (515 km)|
|Maximum Speed||112mph (180km/h)|
The Shuttleworth Collection (on behalf of BAE Systems), Old Warden, Beds
Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington, Yorkshire